09 February 2009

My kind of town

From journal 2.7.09


Chicago is hauntingly beautiful.  As the sun sets over its glittering spires*, the silhouettes of ancient water towers look almost black against the rainbowed sky.  Glorious and industrial.  Full of secrets, and while these secrets are blatantly gorgeous, they are not always nice ones.  It's a harsh city at times but it is the harshness that makes Chicago's beauty that much more intense.  The juxtaposition of old-day modern and what is now considered new creates a thick vibe of life.  Something is always in the process; a building, a bridge, a business, a beautiful relationship.  I think it will always be home.

Look at the sky.  The sky...



*Thanks to Graham for the phrase "glittering spires."

6 Comments:

Blogger Brom said...

"Glorious and Industrial", I like that, reminds me of.... well... me!! LOL

6:26 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Ooh, really, Brom? I might like you more than I thought then! ;-)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Clyde said...

Home will always be beautiful if you look.
It will welcome you and comfort you

8:27 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I agree, Clyde. I didn't love this city when I first moved here and now I adore it. Except the brutal winter wind. It really does wanna make you die. But the summers are worth the freezing pain.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Clyde said...

So when do you go to Melbourne ?

5:01 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Sometime towards the latter part of March. Sorting out my visa at the moment. As soon as I get approved, I'll have a definitive date. :)

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home