20 December 2008

Introspection

This last week has made me realize just how much of a woman I am. Every morning, I've been at the dining room table sobbing over my oatmeal and coffee like I just found out I could never travel again. And it wasn't even sad sobbing, for chrissakes! It's all this book's fault. It's too soul-touching for its own good. And I absolutely adore it.

I am such a bloody girl it's a little bit disgusting even to me who doesn't even fancy shoes (except cool sneakers. A little bit of a tangent: I am not a shoe girl whatsoever and it really makes me wonder why. I think it may have something to do with my tremendous dislike of my calves and my fear of the dreaded cankles. See? See? Am having a paranoid bout of my femaleness, which I have been told is ridiculous but yet I continue to harp on about fat calves. Bringing me nicely back to the book...) She travels to Italy to eat (hurrah! Who doesn't want pizza in Italy?), then India to pray (connecting with God and letting things that bother you just go), then to Indonesia to study with a lovely old medicine man. It's so well-written and lovely and I feel like I am getting a new girl crush on someone I have not met.

Anyway, been thinking about loads of stuff and opening sketchily patched-up holes in myself all week. It's been kind of painful but healing at the same time. I think I'm realizing a bit late that this is actually a Self-Help Book. And I like it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

There are some pretty enthusiastic reviews in that link.

Your sobbing, it sounds like healthy sobbing. Shedding tears (or in your case not) about the beauty of life as well as its intrinsic sadness indicates a healthy and well-rounded way of viewing our brief existence, I think.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Justina said...

I read Eat,Pray and Love in early 2007 and I fell in love with what the author put forth. By taking care of your inner desires you can come out on the better side of any trauma you endure in life. My enduring goal is to spend a few months living in Italy and eating as much gelato as humanely possible (much like our authoress heroine).

It's okay to cry over oatmeal as H2O is needed to make it edible! I'm going to get my copy back from my friend so I can have a good cry session.

P.S. I can't wait to find out who is going to play her in the movie version of this book (because you know Hollywood can't come up with anything but adaptations or remakes)!

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an experience. You are right-- why shouldn't a book be that way? Why shouldn't we be able to connect with the author like you have described? Also, there is nothing wrong with "self-help" books. Or "inspirational" books. Maybe they are the best thing. Fuel to energize the soul.
Oh, by the way,I like your playlist!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Lee- Yeah, I think it must be healthy, too. It was so nice and uplifting. I felt at times a bit annoyed, though, because honestly, just where did she get so much DEDICATION to follow through with all that? Hmm...

Justina- Let me know how the second run-through of the book goes. Perhaps I'll go back to it later on, too. And Hollywood is so fucking annoying...are there no other ideas screen-writers can write themselves?

Graham- I think most 'self-help' books are a bit crap. This is something on an entirely different level. I'll leave the book about for you to look through. ;)

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home