23 March 2009

New City

I've been in Melbourne almost a week now and I'm enjoying the vibrant characters strewn throughout this city. From the funky graffiti art to the gorgeous surrounding hills, I feel like I've landed in a pretty fabulous place.


I didn't realize how important coffee is here. But damn, do Melburnians take their cafe seriously. And I've found that it doesn't matter what time of day, whether it's 8am or midnight, someone will stop what they're doing and ask, "Want a coffee?" I asked my friend last night as we're all huddled around the kitchen table sipping the hot, creamy drink, "How do you go to sleep with such a crazy intake of caffeine?" The answer was simple--"I just do." I have a sneaky suspicion that after a lifetime of drinking bucket loads of tasty beans the people here have formed an immunity towards caffeine. Instead of getting super jacked at all times of the day, they can just enjoy the intense yumminess without the side effects. Unlike me. But gimme a year.

I'm also finding that most people here need a car to get around, not unlike Los Angeles. However, LA has nothing on Melb. It's just that the city is spread out so much that the public transport will get you a portion of the way you're intended to go. If I didn't have mates to help me out with lifts from time to time, I'd probably never leave the city centre. Hmm, that's probably not true...

My friend's father just asked me if I'd like something to eat. He's making me a sandwich the lovely person that he is and asked, "Do you want colors on it?" As in vegetables. Oh man, I love these people. I really like it here.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brom said...

Sounds heavenly! Of course "These people" are probably, technically brits, but I would'nt go there if I was you ;-)

No genuinely jealous, it has always sounded a great place to visit and the people I have been told are the best!

6:56 AM  
Blogger MommyHeadache said...

I've only been to Sydney also to Bryon Bay which is very cool. Have a great time - grr I am jealous!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Brom-It is a lot of fun and the people are great. You'd really like it here.

EmmaK-Thanks! I'm doing my best. You should meet up with Brom and arrange a visit down under. hehe

8:55 PM  
Blogger Justina said...

I wonder if you took all the Melbournians off coffee for one week what would happen? If you did it to an American they would be shaking like a heroin addict going through withdrawals. But to a Melbournian it is like blood, so they simply go to sleep and keep function! Funny!

Glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself and hitching a ride to get some 'colors' burgers!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

You've just made me miss Melbourne a bit. I love those laneway cafes.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Clyde said...

Geez, Brom went there---no, Ausralians are not technically anything except Australians---Brits--ha---affectionately known here as Pomy Bastards----
The coffee thing is just a good morning and good night thing--something to break the ice in a conversation----between lunch and late night it is a beer instead.
Hey, we like our cars because we can travel fairly easily on our roads
Glad you are enjoying yourself---and I see your football team won last night--carn the Cats

7:12 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Justina-Yeah, am having a good time with the exception of finding a place to live...I'm a bit surprised there aren't more homeless people in this city because it is near impossible to find shelter. (Not that that makes the city less lovely, just a glitch in the engine and all that.)

Lee-When are ya visiting then?

Clyde-I'm finding the coffee thing not just a morning and evening event but I'm beginning to think it's just the friends I have. My friend's father goes through 8-10 cups of coffee a day and other friends don't mind drinking cup after cup from 5pm-midnight. Does my head in a bit but I like it.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home