26 March 2008

Bitch

I have been in quite the sweary mood lately. I haven't sworn so fucking much since...since...well, probably not that long ago. But last night I was on the subway coming back from work and this rather large man with dreds thumped down in the seat next to me. He promptly flipped open his top of the line moto and shouted into it, "I fucking hate this city, man!" I kid you not, the whole carriage stuffed tight with people glimpsed over.

"I'm done with Chicago, man! This city is SHIT. It's full of crap. I can't BELIEVE I've stayed two months here. I'm going to the EU, fuck this place! With it's fucking PEOPLE." I think it was at this point that I looked up and the girl in front of me was rolling her eyes. But being experts in ignoring crazies that we great people of Chicago are, not one person said anything but continued to read their papers and listen to their iPods.

I wanted to say that I used to think that once, too. I wanted to tell him that if he stayed just a bit longer he might change his mind. But he seemed in a right fouler and I decided that even if I tried to help him he would just tell me to go fuck myself. But hey, at least I wasn't the one bitching to an entire subway car.

2 Comments:

Blogger Justina said...

That is so rude of that man! My motto is: If you don't like where you're living, L.E.A.V.E I.T.! But there's no need to brag about it on the bus!

Plus, given the way the dollar is doing in the global economy, Chicago is a helluva lot cheaper than the EU!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

True dat, sista. It was the oddest thing. I wanted to laugh out loud and maybe I should've...if he would stay just a bit longer perhaps he'd realize that Chicago is actually fucking fantastic. It took me about a year! And I've been here 2 1/2 now. It takes time in new places. Unless you're at uni because then you just hang out with millions of people and it's easier...

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home