05 February 2008

Twilight Zone

This morning instead of entering the office I stepped into another dimension. One where my boss says inappropriate shit and thinks it is okay.

I walked into the kitchen and found bosslady reading the paper. "So sad. The shooting over the weekend." Said as she flips urgently through the Tribune.

"Yes. Bad stuff. A friend abroad was worried about me but I wasn't here." I pour coffee into a big mug and open the fridge for milk.

My boss then throws her paper on the table. As if she is having a fit. I look up from the fridge inquiringly as she says, "My friend from college was shot there." Then turns away with a pout on her face.

"Really? That's horrible!" The milk is forgotten and I'm paused with the cool fridge air on my hip.

Then she chuckles at something hilarious, "No. Just kidding. Hahaha!" And as she's walking away from the kitchen I hear her mutter, "But it is sad, though."

Who does that? Why would she think that it would be funny to say she knew someone who was killed over the weekend to me? Very bizarre. I am seriously wondering who I am working for. A property manager or an alien.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, maybe she is a bit bipolar. Perhaps she wanted to help you experience, for a moment, a true sense of the tragedy. This was her creative way of helping you empathize with the victims. Well, you say that she is not bipolar... so she must just be a touch immature. Good detail, Kathryn. Nice how you expose interesting things about the world and people through these little slices of life. Sometimes they are stranger than fiction.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

She is a bit nutty. No doubt about it. And cheers, babe. You give me way too much credit. xx

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen this syndrome before, it's called "idiot syndrome". These are people who make up jokes in their own heads that only they laugh to. The joke either makes no sense or makes you wonder if the person is retarded. In your case I'd put this person in the retarded catagory.
Idiot syndrome is not infectious, but usually goes hand in hand with "looser syndrome"

Just my two cents

10:40 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Haha, I like it. Idiot Syndrome. I know a lot of people who are afflicted with this problem. And is it Looser or Loser? Because I have come across a few losers and/or loose people. ;)

Not that I am in that category. *cough*

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW. that is very insensitive! bunch of freakos!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Yep. Crazy bunch for sure.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home