14 January 2008

Overtime

Apparently working 9-5 ain't enough in the corporate world. Not surprising, obviously, but it's becoming a total grind on my Monday through Friday life. The girl I work with and I (we share the same position, oh joy) have been saddled up and brushed down for more than we can chew off, if y'know what I mean. I work very hard throughout the day and at 5 o'clock I'm going home to the gym and my bath (work the agression out and then tell myself everything is ok with hot water...).

Americans work really hard. And I am becoming suspicious about these so-called 'perks' the corporate yokes thrust at us from time to time to keep us momentarily happy. A reminder that we're the lucky people, the "chosen ones," if you will.

But it's all bullshit. Honestly, we only get 10 days of holiday a year. The French get something like 40 for chrissakes! And it is illegal for them to work over 35 hours a week! I am thinking about moving to France just for this. For real. I can speak passably bad French (hey, I'll improve). I can drive on the right side of the road (the same as Les Etats Unis, non?). I actually like Escargot (who does not like slugs smothered by garlic and butter? Who?). I could loosen my work ethic quite easily. Seriously, this wouldn't be a problem.

Operation Easy French Lifestyle In Progress.

Do not disturb me. *sulking off to lair* (i.e., the bath).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do they pay your for overtime? I'm salaried, so I don't get paid for it.:-/

11:11 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I'm on salary, too. But they have mentioned overtime pay...it's time to cash in, the time-hogging feckers.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Brom said...

Yeah, but there's Labou, sorry Labor day, Thanksgiving, Columbus, Veterans,.... Not that many Bank hols in the UK you know.

AND you get a quarter of a pickle free with every burger.

Stop complaining ;-)

6:46 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

But...but...English people get at least 28 days of holiday a year plus bank hols.

Just had to say it. I will stop now. :)

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home