05 December 2007

Size doesn't matter

It's that time of year again. Holidays and all that. Last night the bf and I went to pick a tree out for our flat. It is my first tree in something like 7 years and I'm not gonna lie: I'm excited. Pretty, twinkly, multi-coloured lights with little bobs of ornaments dabbed here and there over the fake pine makes me get the warm and fuzzies.


Yeah, our tree is fake. And as a person who has grown up always with fake trees (crammed in the basement for 11 months), that doesn't bother me. No, it really doesn't. I've convinced myself that I am probably allergic to pine anyway so it is really all okay. Plus, I don't like stuff that dies.

So picking out the tree.

"Which one do we want?" I ask the bf.

"Something cheap." He says.

"You skinflint."

"What's that mean?" I forget he doesn't know British slang.

"You're a cheap-o."

"Yeah, whatever. What about this one?" He points to a nice 4.5 foot fur-type tree and I agree, yes, it really is a doll and I'd take that baby home in a heartbeat. I'm looking, looking, looking all around the mini-in-store-forest of trees for number 14. Under benches and through the branches to different shelves. It's definitely MIA.

"I think it's sold out." I say to the bf who is almost on all fours and under a shelf.

"Probably." He gets up and asks, "What else?" So we give up on the Dream Tree and start browsing other alternatives.

A mediocre 3 footer is in my sight with multi-coloured lights already on it. Our flat isn't massive and this would go in our space nicely. But the bf had his sights on the 6.5 bad boy.

"Look," He drools, "it's cheap. And it's big!" He's just standing there with his mouth open a bit in admiration.

"Uh-huh. So where is one we can take home?" Me. The Voice of Reason. It wasn't there. All the good ones had been taken home already. I mean, we were late, it being the 4th of December already...

The shrimpy 3 footer was decided upon after like an hour. When we got it home, it actually was very beautiful and perfect. It is smaller than we originally wanted but it so doesn't matter. I'm in love with my little tree. She's a cute one. I'm thinking of taking her out for dinner and a movie I love her so much. She's not big on the conversation bit but I can look past that. Details. Pfft.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww! I love your description of the tree. It's a cute critter indeed. I mean "she". I know, just because she's inorganic doesn't mean she doesn't have feelings. And she loves everyone, even the recently-reformed Spice Girls, in alignment with her generally Christmas-based world view.

1:50 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Spice Girls? Pah! She does not...she's going right back to the shop if that's the case.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! That is hilarious. I bet the 6' one would have had a more aggressive, spiteful attitude, and would have hated the Spice Girls for sure. It looked kinda mean. But the little one is good. Maybe she can learn that in this world, it is good to be more discriminating in who you admire. I mean, come on, what's next, is she going to want to join the Ryan Seacrest fan club? "Voice of Reason", indeed...

10:55 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Oi! Someone has to be the voice of reason and it usually ends up being me. What? You wanna go? Put your dukes up!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heehee!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Justina said...

Hey! The Spice Girls have made a significant contribution to the musical landscape! Who else could put out only two albums, make millions of pounds from playing dress-up in Bob Mackey-esque costumes, have one member marry a gorgeous footballer, and still find time to break up and get back together in a decade! Who, I ask you has that kind of dedication to their art?!!

Dammit! I'm tired of people failing to realize the marketing genius of a group of women who can barely hold a tune and have larger closets than #1 hits! Damn you all to hell!

The Spice Girls deserve your R-E-S-P-E-C-T not your dollars!!!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Justina said...

P.S. Your new branchy friend sounds cute. Small. But cute!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need pictures of said small xmas tree!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES, need a "photo" (kat's term) of this said tree! hahaha
This trip reminds me almost EXACTLY of when me, Noel, and Kristin took a trip to Menards last year to get a tree for their house.. we're like, oh, this one is great! ...sold out.. OK, how about this one!!!..sold out... finally we got one...and while it wasn't our first choice, it was quite nice (and on clearance b/c it was so close to x-mas..haha). But, the highlight was seeing this big 3 foot tall plastic candle for the yard that said NOEL. ...obviously pronounced NO-ELLE...but Noel..who was with us (pronounced Nole) said..oh look, there's a candle w/ my name on it! we laughed SO HARD. damn. i wish we would have bought that candle!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Alright y'all, I'll post the "photo" of my lovely little tree as soon as I can take it. Seriously, she's a beaut. You are going to want her but you can't. Ha. Ah hahaha.

Jami, go back and get the candle!

And Justina, I'm sorry babe, I just don't feel very strongly about the Spice Girls...

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home