13 November 2007

Global Warming...is it that bad?

I understand that if Global Warming is actually occuring, which I believe it is, that it is not good for the planet overall. Apparently, bad things happen when the earth heats up a few degrees. But the only time it is actually a bit nice (if weird) to be a part of global warming is the colder time of year.

Chicago is known for its notoriously bitter winter winds. They are brutal. And they don't care who the fuck you are, you're going down sucka. Then the wind blows you into hypothermia only a block from home and you can barely move against it. Once you have actually reached some kind of inside warmth it takes approximately 3 days to thaw out or something like that. So winter is no fun for the most part. But it does make hot chocolate a good friend. And soup. Ahhhh...soup.

It should be cold right now. And it is a bit chilly but chilly in the sense of beginning of October chilly not Oh, cock, I can't take this cold yet type of chilly. Last year it was 55F on New Year's Eve. I'm not complaining about the warmth. It's nice. I can walk to work and save money. I can stroll to nearby pubs and shops without worrying about how many layers I have on and if they are enough (usually not).

I talked to a crazy cabbie about global warming. He said that in 10-15 years Chicago's weather is going to be equivalent to the stuff found in Northern Texas. So 50s (14-15C). Which we deduced wouldn't be so bad. We could live quite happily without snow. But he was a racist crazy and I was actually conversing with him for a few moments, so what do we know?

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Hmmm, yeah, but it's all of this lack of rainfall here but too much there - sea level business that's got me thinking.

So everyone says 'Yeah, it's cyclical these thawing ice caps but that still means the sea rises!'

You can tell I'm a physicist can't you? ;-)

1:01 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

You are so sharp you're gonna cut me, dear Greasvie.

Yeah, we might have to wave goodbye to California, NY, or god forbid--Britain!

Have you got your Plan B ready?

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no, we can't say bye to britain! that's your favorite (gloomy )place! hahaha

from jami

10:37 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I know! Favorite by far. Would be a tragedy. I don't care if it's gloomy! :P

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home