05 November 2007

Savoury or Sweet?

The bf and I have disagreed upon this subject but the question still remains: which is better savoury foods or sweet? I can see the merits in both but when push comes to shove down your gob, there really is one that you'd always, always, settle for.

Bf is a notorious fan of the sugar. I am a savoury girl. Give me chips any day over chocolate. It's interesting when we venture outdoors to a restaurant. He's all "sweet marinated" this and "coconut shrimp" that while I'm eyeing the salty roast lamb and potatoes like a starved street cat. I'm not even bothered with deserts. It's like eh, who cares?

The good thing is at least I can have a bag of crisps laying around in a cupboard and not worry that they'll disappear on me. Same with the bf's various sweet snacks. I suppose, in a way, it is a blessing to have such opposite tastes in foods. Because otherwise we'd be nose to nose in heated convos about who ate the last pretzel and who hogged the remaining cookies to themselves. Still, though. Is one better than the other? Or is it all just eh, who cares?

This is probably the most pointless and boring post I've ever written. But there it is. Take it or leave it. I will not be offended.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Haha. I liked it. Then again, I am the star of the story. You are more like an anti-hero who I have to try to rehabilitate.

Moreover, in focusing on cookies, you seem to have lost sight of tapioca, rice pudding, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, milk shakes, cheese cake, donut holes, chocolate mousse, and cherry pie a la mode, not to mention raw cookie dough itself, one of the basic elements of the Universe.

In your haste, you have failed to discuss french dressing on salads, honey mustard on sandwiches, pineapple or mango salsa in tacos, orange chicken, sweet & sour pork, lemon chicken, deep fried chicken with crispy maple bourbon coating, honey bbq chicken wings, lamb with mint glaze, chicken with sweet tamarind glaze, pineapple and barbecue chicken pizza, and teriyaki-marinaded chicken or pork. All righteous foods that should strike fear into the hearts of you "savory" heretics!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and of course, all of this wisdom applies to vegetarians as well, who can switch in their choice of meat substitute.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Vegans won't fare as well with the desserts, but that's okay, because they invent a lot of exciting desserts anyway.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I want some cookie dough.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Dammit, Graham. Damn you for trying to win over everyone with your sweet sugary sugarness. Not fair. Savoury is King. Stupid cookie dough.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Savoury, EVERY time. I especially like things that have an unexpected savoury kick. I like Reece's (sp?) or peanut butter M 'n' Ms for example, but more for the slightly salty kick than the sweet chocolate.

Pointless, my arse. This stuff's important.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Yeah, right on Wendy! And hello. Oh yes, Reese's are lovely. I agree, the salt mixed with the sweet is tasty personified. Or, um, not. Because that might be cannibalism or something.

Nevermind.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Sweet And Sour Pork? A little bit of both, no?

8:27 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

True. Sweet and sour can be pretty fab. Best of both worlds and all that. :)

10:21 AM  
Blogger Justina said...

I don't know if they have rehab for sweet fiends but I'm sure that my friends would stage an intervention to get me to go! Graham could be my sponsor!

I wasn't sure that I could live a life without chocolate...that is until I found out that the Mars Company employs child (slave) labor to get their chocolate to factories. I try to remember this everytime I pick up a milky way.

But I think that Kathryn has a point about savoury foods. When she mentioned chips, I thought of the kettle brand. When she mentioned roast lamb and potatoes, I thought about thanksgiving in L.A.

Damn you Kathryn! Now all I want is carbs!!!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Dude, I feel your pain. I want them, too, dammit. Despite desiring for the most part savoury, today I am especially fond of the peanut M&Ms. Period and all that. Stupid periods. Damn them to hell. But give me chocolate first.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are seeing the light.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Thanks, Lynelle. And hello. :)

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home