18 October 2007

Self-Conscious

Walking into the meeting today at our Regional Office was a bit of a nightmare. My hair was unkempt from the lovely Chicago wind and I had forgotten my heels at the other office so I was sporting trainers with dressy trousers (always classy).

I was the second to arrive and the first lady in gave me a judgemental up and down look before extending her hand and doing the fake smile bit. I played along. Other people began filtering in and the grooming was excessive. I know I shouldn't get so paranoid about what these corporate yokes think about me but I somehow do. Sad, I know. Perhaps pathetic (the tiniest wee bit).

I had managed to get to the meeting in one piece at least which is saying quite a lot since I almost walked into a bus. I'm not always 100% coherent in the morning.

After the conclusion and everyone was getting ready to leave I noticed people from my office shmoozing with Judgemental Lady who was shaping up in my mind to be a total cow. She gave me another snide look (and I'm not going to lie, I saw a few of them thrown my way. It was like stepping inside a groomed cat parlor or something and I was the stray running inside for warmth or whatsits.). I don't think I'm particularly unappealing and things definitely could be worse (probably) but stop the bitchiness already! I can't handle it at 9am!

I sometimes fear that I'll get sacked for not looking the right way. I work with beautiful blondes and I'm the odd woman out. But I'm silly. Seriously, they can't fire me for not being beautiful, right? Oh god, I'm so paranoid. I'm not dying my hair blonde (again...)! Oh for Chrissakes. I need a coffee.

11 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Let them get on with it, you're not clone material!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Too right. Cheers, Greavsie. :)

2:15 PM  
Blogger Justina said...

A bunch of cunts, the whole lot of them!!! Don't go blonde and join the Village of the Damned, Kathryn, you're better than that!

P.S. However, you always did look good with blonde highlights though.......

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh stop! :) you have the prettiest red hair ! everyone always thinks so! although blonde? i wanna see pictures of THAT! :) hahaha

9:31 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I know, I shouldn't complain or whinge. Thanks, guys. Even though it is shallow, probably, it does grind on me day after day...I think I need those assertive classes or whatever! Just to feel like I have more of an edge or something...

Seriously, things could be heaps worse. Jami, I'll show you photos tonight of me with the blonde...I'm not going back though.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Justina said...

good point, Jami! Kathryn, I LOVE REDHEADS, they're just better people! more vivacious, more angry, more intersting! And I'm a brunette! We must unite against, not the real blondes, who were genetically granted their hair-color, but the FAKE BLONDES who seek to dominate the hair population! Look at that woman's roots...do they look darker than the color of her hair? Fake blonde! and she's a bitch to boost!

Never be ashamed of being a redhead! you're fabulous just the way you are! Plus, if what geneticists are saying is true, redheads will become obsolete by 2200! Hello, my fellow minority!

Just kidding! Not about the 2200 date though!

I wasn't born a redhead *sigh* :)

3:25 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Really? Obsolete? Weird...

Thanks, babe. I'm not going to whine anymore! :)

4:01 PM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

Justina's comment reminded me of when I passed a guy on the street talking into his phone and he said "What a bunch of cunts." And I thought about bunches of things... bunch of flowers, bunch of grapes, bunch of bananas, bunch of cunts... Made me do that smirk in public thing.

Screw Judgmental Lady (she probably needs it). Don't go the blonde unless you really want to. They really are a weird bunch, those corporate drones. They miss the point completely. There's no point trying to be like them because it just won't work. Bottom line is if you do your job well they will respect that, and if you do it in your own unique style they'll probably respect you more.

And if they don't respect you for those two things they really are a bunch of bananas.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I never really got to thinking about how many things come in 'bunches' until now. You guys are totally expanding my mind not to mention my vocab.

Nah, not going back to blonde. But I played around with it whilst living Down Under. I guess the self-esteem has been a bit low lately and I'm feeling paranoid around all these glamourous chicks at work. I'll get over it. Things are usually way worse in my head than reality.

Cheers for the kind words. :)

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. That bus comment concerns me. Looks like I may need to focus more on making sure coffee is ready in the morning before you leave.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Yes, please. *vigorous head nodding*

You know how clumsy I am...

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home