18 December 2007

Sucker

I know I've expressed Pissed Offeyness galore on this site about commuting in Chicago. In recent months it has gotten better by leaps and bounds due to moving basically downtown. It was easy to walk the 17 blocks to work. But now that winter has become a permanent annoyance it isn't an option at the mo. Brutal Bastard that he is.

So I'm back on the public transport. And have discovered that the nearest train is the most inconvienant subway spot in the city. By the time it reaches me the carriages are crammed to capacity with bulging bodies. Sometimes a leg is caught in the doors as they try to slam shut. I see people straining against each other and trying to maintain some respectability at the same time. Which never happens, by the way. Usually a hand gets pushed onto a boob, or a nose gets stuck in a smelly armpit. Once, I was squeezed up next to a weirdo who kept smiling as my hip thumped against him whilst the train jerked along. Ew.

In the mornings, I'll race along to the subway then wait with heaps of yuppified-to-fuck people in the dingy 1970s rat-infested cave they call a station for a train. One comes. Too many people. 10 out of 150 can get on. Wait again. Another train. Excitement builds as one thinks they might be able to push on (decency is totally abandoned). Nope. Haha, sucker. You suck. Haha, think you live so close to work! Haha, it takes the same amount of time to get there as it did when you lived 45 minutes north. Shove that in your snobby Gold Coast face.

Another train. I AM GETTING ON THIS ONE. It's the 3rd bloody train and I. Am. Getting. On. It. I see a woman lurking near me and I can tell she's going to try to have a go at boarding but she has just arrived and I have been WAITING so she's definitely getting an elbow in the face if she moves in on my turf.

Lights are coming, train is slowing, please let the doors stop in front of me, please, please, I pray. They stop, I walk along an inch or two to be directly in front and then before the sneaky lurker (who is basically kicking the back of my knees in) does anything I launch myself into the sea of people and hope for the best. I close my eyes and grope around for a pole to steady myself. Opening an eye, I see a wall of annoyance and hatred from my fellow commuters. God, we're horrible to each other.

At the next stop, some get off and the rest of us can sort of breathe. Then more and more at the next. This is why my subway location is the absolute worst in the city. Not far enough out to actually get a spot and not south enough for people to have alighted. I feel like a complete sucker.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just do what I do when I commute by train or bus. Turn on your ipod (or whatever Mp3 player), select a tune by Bob Marley, and chill.:-)

3:34 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Dude, I'd love to chill. But I'd never make it to work if I did. I'd be like, "Hey mon, yeah. Get on this train. I'll get the next. Hey mon, hi. Yeah, get this one, too. I'll wait until later. Brownie?" Then no doubt, some smartass yuppie will comment, "Shut up, you're a white redhead, for chrissakes, not a rasta..."

I should stop doing that, I guess.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally see how this is a problem at that stop...while i'm sitting in the seat i get b/c i live so far away from downtown. haha :)
i have thought on numerous occasions..THANK GOD i dont' have to get on there!
there are a few bus routes that go down michigan and turn right down wacker, i wonder if that would be easier?
or maybe this is just the price you pay for getting to WALK TO WORK for a portion of the year. THAT part about , I am jealous.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True enough.:-) That would be funny though!

I have to admit that the train I take is pretty empty when I get on, since I got on near the end, and I don't work downtown. The bus I take gets moderately full, but not elbow to elbow.

Though when I do commute downtown, the eye candy can be quite nice, but I guess you wouldn't care about that.:-)

5:16 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Jami, yeah, I tried doing the bus thing when I had just moved in but it's completely based on chance. And usually my chances are crap. First I have to actually Get On a bus (after waiting until 2 or 3 come by first, just like the el). Then the traffic is total chocker-block. That's why the redline is the best way to go. Still sucks this time of year. So stay smug now but come spring the tables will be turned, hahaha. :)

Anonymous, nope. Don't care about the eye candy. Because I AM the eye candy. Just kidding.

I'm the abc gum on the ground...

6:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now Kit, you silly thing, you are being entirely too modest here. You are a candy cane snowflake princess who can magically transform into a ginger bread vanilla-peppermint kitten. A chunk of brightly-colored rock candy or at least a teaspoon of raw sugar dipped in honey. Come on, even when you are being naughty, you at least rise to the level of a discarded, colorful wrapper, give yourself some credit :) -- are NOT, definitely NOT gnawed gum.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I sound like I am high-caloried. Thanks for the sweet sayings, beloved.

But I don't quite know what you are talking about...this being "naughty." You know as well as I that I am always lovely and good. :P

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely and good.. hahahaha :)
graham, i like the descriptions. not sure entirely what they mean, but they were quite impressive!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Justina said...

ugh, rastahs! Several of my cousins became them, so nothing good to say about it other than that music of bob marley is a gift to all humanity.

Throw elbows if you have to! I hate people that cut! You may want to think about getting a white breathing mask so that you don't ingest any circulating viruses amongst the inhabitants of the moving tin can express!

Love ya! Happy New Year!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I take me vitamins, don't you worry! And never touch the poles, they are germ-infested.

Love ya, too! Have fun and don't pass out too early on New Year's, yeah?

12:12 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Hey Kathryn

Stoked to see how you are getting on. And now you are off to Brazil! Looks like everything is happening for you! How long are you going for?

Marty

9:25 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Hi Marty, thanks for dropping by. What's your email again? Shall drop you one soonish. :)

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home