13 December 2007

Pensive

Been feeling a bit heavy this week. I found out some news about my work situation that could be bothersome. And whenever I get bothery and heavisome I break out the Orbital again. I always go back to them when things get rough. Comfort thing, I suppose. Been listening to the brothers for half of my life. Love them to bits.

In the mornings and then later at night I walk the busy city streets with thousands of others. We move as one mass trying to go to different places. I feel lost and separated from my life as I drift along besides strangers who are really no more strange than I am. I listen to Orbital's Belfast in my head as I float along, the melody meshing with my heavy feelings. Like a human paperweight.

On paper, my life is very good at the moment. But inside I am confused. I want to travel again and the corporate life is draining. I feel that life yawning its mouth open to swallow me headfirst. Perhaps I can be satisfied with only 2 weeks of vacation a year? Why do I feel the incessant need to move around the world? Am I never to be content in one place? Perhaps it is the sorry weather that has me in a fog.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you need to make me a copy of this orbital cd. i have never heard it!
the winter always sucks. we all need kristin's job where you can move around whenever you want - weekly if you want to! california in the winter, chicago in the summer... you'd probaby be ALL over the world..or at least the US. :)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

You should definitely have Orbital's albums, I'll copy them for you. By the way, I can't wait for the Burningman thing next week. Should be good! I haven't dressed up in awhile...

Winter is shit. I'm going to take up being a nurse so I can move to California during these months, lucky Kristin. Or Thailand, maybe!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

I think it's only three weeks until we pack our car and head off for a few dance festivals. Big road trip that always makes me re-assess. Interesting, the itch to move thing.

And speaking of music - just watched the clip for Teardrop by Massive Attack on Rage... holy shit what a great piece of music that is.

Also, I think I owe you an email.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Yay! Dance fests! Road trip! Wish I were Down Under and going on a road trip to a dance fest.

Am going to check out the Teardrop clip soonish. Love good music. And you've passed on some excellent stuff.

Got your email. :)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Justina said...

Two weeks of vacation a year is not enough. Compared to what the rest of the world gets in vacation time (4 weeks minimum) it's downright criminal. Plus, the dirty little secret in this country is that its not guaranteed! It has to be approved first by a manager, and if they say no...well, you're overworked and shit out of luck!

Things always look nice on paper. But just because something is written down doesn't make it true. Face it! You're a travel bug! Weather has nothing to do with it. Even if you were on a sunny island in French Polynesia, you know that you need to move around and explore as many places on this earth as possible. Otherwise you wouldn't be you!

So you do the corporate thing for now but in the back of your mind you you this is just a temporary (minor) incident. I don't know how the BF will feel about Guam but I'm sure that you both will move on to bigger and better adventures as soon as possible!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home