30 January 2008

Dirty Desserts

D and I were out to lunch last week for a break away from the office stomping grounds. It was at a lovely little Latin cafe. A fancy-ish one. Y'know, where they line up impressive (and impossibly fatty) pastries and cakes in the outer window. A line of artistic sweets that scream, "You wish you could eat me." And dammit. They're right. The arrogant tarts.

After D and I had finished a fantastic lunch (in the normal cafe area), we had to walk by the tempting desserts that were arrayed along a glass panel leading towards the exit. Each one was sumptuous looking with yummified this and sugar-topped that.

We browsed hesitantly. I was certain not to buy one. I couldn't. I wasn't good enough. But D charged on gallantly. He looked at the cakes and even though he wanted something the cakes weren't doing it for him. Then I saw them. The profiteroles. I prodded D and asked him about the cream-filled puffs.

"I don't know," D said, "Profiterole is such a dirty word."

"Is it? I've never thought of it as dirty or clean. It's just yummy, creamy pastry with chocolate sauce."

"Nah, I don't like to eat them because they just seem so dirty."

"Hmm. Profiteroles. The dirtiest of desserts. Yeah, I can sort of see it."

Hilarious. I've never thought of particular desserts as being dirty. Is it in a literally dirt-grimy-needs-to-be-soaped-down type of way? Or is it a sexual thing? Am I missing the boat completely? D didn't go on to elaborate but I find it very amusing that profiteroles are at the top of the dirty dessert list.

What about creme brulee? That sounds a bit dirty to me. And it's French. Or perhaps peanut butter ice cream? Everything just tossed in willy nilly and swirled around a bit. Tastes fantastic. I don't honestly know how profiteroles fought their way to the top.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ha! This is one of my favorite blog offerings, and not just because it's so sweet. If one couldn't heretofore conceive what is so filthy about those perfidious profiteroles, I think that the accompanying obscene photo should make it clear as mud cake. I mean, look at those dirty, self-satisfied dogs! I mean, arrogant tarts! :)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Haha. They do seem quite messy. But oh, so tasty! ;)

4:49 PM  
Blogger Justina said...

Kathryn, that picture makes me want to go hold up a tart shop until they drizzle chocolate fudge all over a dozen cream puffs/profiteroles! That image turns me on so much more than a snickers!

Ok. Too Much Information! Hahaha!

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kat. I have bad news. I have received confirmation that "beautifully clean" dove S/C HAS in fact....been discontinued.....
Anyway..guess I"ll have to get you a different kind to try! :)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I know, Justina, they are super yum. I wish I could eat them everyday but sadly I can't find any here.

Jami-OMG. This is a tragedy! Very sad news, indeed. I shall mourn until you send something better my way! ;)

4:26 PM  
Blogger Brom said...

Tiramisu does it for me, but deep down I know that you can't beat a good old fashioned steamed syrup sponge and hot thick custard.

PS. I'll be a resident of ORD on Monday, albeit briefly. I shall wave.

3:24 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Hi Brom, yes, tiramisu is definitely a bit dirty. Not as filthy as profiteroles, apparently, but still near the top of the DD list.

Ooh, coming for a visit are you? I shall be at ORD in 3 weeks! Such a shame to miss you! I'll return the wave with a jolly smile. :)

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home