23 April 2009

Buy my car wax

It's getting down to desperation time on the job front.  I mean I'm 'this' close to swinging a sandwich board over my head and selling myself on the street saying "Free hugs for food" or "Will give rubs for cash."  Hmm.  Perhaps I'm not quite that desperate.  But it's bad, dude.  Bad.


I went in for a 'test run' as a waitress at a local gay cafe called ICE.  It's across the street from a gay gym and all the occupants are pretty much gay and very, very H.O.T.  I am not gay.  I am not H.O.T.  I am not a male.  This might be the reason that after an hour of setting the tables and doing nothing but making things awkward for everyone by my femaleness, I got the boot.  Head Gay says, "Sorry to waste your time.  I don't think you'll be a good fit."  I also think he said this because of the Wet Dream that walked in while I was "working" and looking for a job.  I was secretly relieved because as soon as I set the first table I thought to myself, "Shit.  This is gonna suck.  I hate waiting tables."  Luckily he did all the awkward bad news bit for me.  So.  I don't think I'll be a waitress.  I know I'm giving up early but I seriously hate waiting on people.  I'd rather eat my dirty sneaker (and it's filthy!).  

The next day I attended a second interview with what I thought was a job in customer service for a phone company.  Wrong.  Those sneaky fuckers.  It turned out to be the marketing company of the phone one and several others.  The first interview was a group interview of about 5 people and none of us knew what the job entailed except you had to have "experience in customer service."  I thought it was gonna be a sit-down desk job talking to clients.  Oh, the ignorance.  There were the stereotypical psychological questions including the crazy inkblot ("What do you see?  A butterfly or a man who has killed his family?"), seemingly random questions that tell them your sexual orientation or some such, and a shitty math equation I'm shit at.

I got a "Congratulations!" text that said to meet for the second interview in the morning.  I rock up to the place in my finest and see about 15 other people in the front room.  There are 4 big screen tvs blasting sexually explicit music videos to the chagrin of all us suits.  It is a very surreal experience to be sitting in an office reception area at 9:30am with suited up strangers watching and listening to the Bloodhound Gang's "Baby, you and me ain't nothing but mammals so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel."  Sweet.

We're finally herded up like cattle and brought into a tiny room with the most uncomfortable plastic chairs in existence.  If I hadn't had second thoughts before they are flitting through my head at this point.  But I stay.  Because the guy talking to us is cute.  He's nice.  He's smiling at me.  Aww, isn't that nice?  He must be a really good person.  Hi, cutie, I see you.  But wait.  What is this?  Why are you talking about me selling stuff?  I don't do that.  No siree.  It's not really my thing, see?  I hate people who do that to me.  Pushy bastards.  I am not a pushy bastard.  And I wouldn't want to buy this crap in the first place.

Ooooh. Kay.  Mr. Cute Liar is now telling me I will have to give a presentation to the other 15 candidates on why they should buy car wax from me.  Alarm bells are dinging and it's not so much the fact I have to try to push this product on people who wouldn't want it, anyway, but that I have to do public speaking.  Fuck that.  I'm OUT!  As soon as McGrinburger walks out the door I pick up my purse, walk out the door in front of everyone, signal the deceitful hottie, hand over delicately the pad of paper and pen he gave me and said, "I'm sorry, I don't want to waste your time but I can't do this."  And I left.  Kind of sad, though.  Because now I miss him.  I think we really bonded.

So, sales and waitressing are out.  The search continues...

13 Comments:

Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

This is a little bit sad and a little bit a lot funny.

You'll get something good soon.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Justina said...

Hey Kathryn, I remember looking at a couple of australian newspapers online (syd mrng herald, australian) and they all have job/career sections that post a bunch of stuff. I remember that they were looking for teachers and teacher's assistants for grades K-12. I'm not sure how much you'd like that but definitely check out the job sections of the local newspaper. Also, (I can't believe I'm saying this) but check out any positions for baristas, hotel front desk workers and nannies. There is no shame in trying to find a way to pay the rent!

Here's some links to the newspapers:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/ (check out the career one section at the top left of the page)

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/

http://www.theage.com.au/

Good luck and you will find something suitable soon!!!!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Clyde said...

New country, new job, bad economic climate, unemployment rising---things are not good right now.
But you have to keep on getting out there.
I see from the local paper that there are jobs for fork lift drivers and backhoe operators.
I think every state has a careers lift out in the Saturday papers.
Hey, if you go with the sandwich board, let meknow where you will be standing

6:49 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Lee- Yeah, that sounds like me. ;-)

Justina- Oh babe, oh no, no, no. I can't be around children all day. I would fear for their safety too much. From me! Kids make me bonkers and they don't understand me, it's all awkward silences and hysterical bawling. Jesus Christ, just take a fucking nap kid. Stop looking at me or I will force a whole spoonful of vegemite down your throat! Yeah. Me and kids not so much.

But thank you for thinking of me. There might be a travel job in the works next week but I don't want to get my hopes up too high. Thank god for contacts.

Clyde- So. I'm very keen to hear about these fork lift drivers/backhoe operator positions. This most definitely sounds like something I'm good at. :)

7:41 PM  
Blogger Clyde said...

Yep, I can just see you out on the work site in your stubbie shorts and blue singlet, hard hat and working that backhoe----then comes smoko---oh, thats the morning tea break---sitting there eating your pie with sauce and iced coffee, checking out the office girls in short skits and low cut tops

5:32 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I do that on Tuesdays.

2:39 AM  
Blogger Brom said...

Aww... well keep trying.

Oh, the Bloodhound Gang song - really good harmonies going on there don't you know!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

"I do that on Tuesdays" has made me laugh a lot.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Oh dear Brom. And there I thought you knew all about good music. ;-) Thanks for the encouraging words.

Lee- Hehehe *snuffled giggle*

1:03 AM  
Blogger MommyHeadache said...

Darling this made me laugh. Fingers crossed that you get a job soon.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Thanks, Emma. Me, too! :)

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly believe that we have reached the point where technology has become one with our society, and I can say with 99% certainty that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory drops, the possibility of downloading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about every once in a while.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.insanejournal.com/397.html]R4[/url] DS qqPost)

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can say that I approve of with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is quiet a without question as you did in the downgrade publication of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=quicktime 7.4.0.91 for windows xp/ vista ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you have in the offing not used. Or you functioning the black methods of promotion of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home