07 April 2008

F is for Funny

Watched Sesame Street for the first time in about 20 years yesterday whilst at a friend's house. They own a 3 year-old so it's pretty natural to wake up and hear that stuff on the tv. Is it just me or has Sesame Street gotten more awesome than ever? The writers have gotta be sick of the normal kiddie crap and are in the back room lighting up saying, "Yeah. Yeah. We can totally get away with this. Kids will think it's normal. We'll put a puppet in there and make it cute."

When I sat down into the leather chair and flopped my feet over the side, I got ready to be good and bored. But then Sesame Street was saying: "Welcome to the Bloom Network! Home of 'Desperate Houseplants'", cue angsty soap music and a close-up of two plant puppets in the shade, one of which has the word 'Stinky' written on its pot. They are sad because they have no shade and are drying up. But then! The gardener walks by and takes notice. Cue uplifting violins. He pulls the shade and waters the two desperate houseplants and everyone is happy!

Next up is a song on how kids can't talk to rocks, cars, or chairs because--duh! They're not alive. They also make sure to let us know that you can't measure these things, either. Apparently chairs don't grow. Who wouldathunkit? But they're totally wrong on the not talking bit. You can talk to cars and whatnot. They just don't answer you. Unless you've been prescribed the good stuff.

Then the Count appears and plays a tooting organ to the number 7 whereupon 7 dancing chickens dressed as gypsys surround him in a 7-chanting stomp.

C'MON. I don't ever remember Sesame Street being this entertaining as a kid! Or so blantantly made for stoners. Next time I flip on the tv for Big Bird I'll make sure to have a bong in waiting. Though obviously not in front of the 3 year-old. That's just wrong, innit?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always loved Sesame Street!

Of course it's made for stoners. Why do you think Cookie Monster ate cookies all the time?

1:04 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Because he is a cookie monster and that's what cookie monsters do. I've never noticed how great that show was. Well, I did 20 years ago but what do 5 year-olds know?

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"F" is for KatFish. "They own a 3 year old"- that's funny.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Cheers, babe. x

1:30 PM  
Blogger Justina said...

I love the Count and Grover! I think that one day I do need to stay home, grab a bong and watch SS. But I have this feeling that I'll be laughing for four hours after the show has gone off! Snuffalufagus! Stoned-alufagus is what I'd be!

P.S. I hope to god I spelled that elephant's name right!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Also, grab cookies. And a free hand to cram your face with them.

P.S. Your spelling is better than mine because I always thought it was Snuffalupaguss. Am wrong, though. Just know it.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home