20 August 2007

Commuting Hell

I fucking hate commuting to and from work 5 times a week. And I hate all my fellow commuters. Because they slow me down and get in my way. I am not very likeable whilst commuting, I'm afraid. Something bf found out this morning. I am all elbows and predatory in a proactive fashion during my commute to the Loop in downtown Chicago. I push people if need be and snarl in the general direction of anyone coming near me. Very territorial, you see. (Oh dear, am already rhyming on a Monday...).

"You change when you're commuting," bf said whilst we were on the move with thousands others like us.

"Look, no one's gonna fuck with me, alright? And I'm getting a seat on that train! Because standing up with hundreds of sweaty people and no where to breathe but the fat guy's arm pit is NOT an option." And then I scoot in front of people so I'm first on the carriage and I get the last seat! Hahahaha! Oopsy...bf has been lost along the wayside. No, no, there he is. Pushing his way past the throng of people to stand by me. "I should offer the seat to him, at least" I think and at the same time hoping he says no.

"Bf, do you want my seat?"

"No, don't be silly." Then I do the inward equivalent to the arm pumping "YES" gesture.

It takes approximately 25-30 minutes on the el before we reach our destination downtown. For some reason (karmic related, no doubt) the whole world alights at our stop. This is also true, I find, when returning home. The whole world gets off on my home stop, too. So, I can only surmise that Chicago's entire population lives in Logan Square and works in the Loop around Clark and Lake.

"You're really agressive right now. Maybe we shouldn't commute together in the mornings. I'm happy with my fellow commuters." Says the bf. Who is the nicest, sweetest individual in the entire world and therefore isn't really down with my anti-commuting style. Which is ok. I understand totally. And it is well and good that when with me he doesn't slow me down but if we commute separately and he somehow is that slow guy in front of me, he better watch it. Just saying.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I hate long commutes. My old commute used to be 2 hours. I had to walk 10 minutes to a bus stop, take one bus to another bus, then to another bus, then another 10 minute walk. Fun stuff! Especially in 0 degree weather.

Now my commute is only 30 minutes, and I love it.:-)

8:32 PM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

That's pretty funny.

God I had the bus ride fom hell yesterday morning. Bus was rammed, it was too stoppy starty, people kept coughing and too many utter bastards wanted to get off at stops that were not mine.

Not a good way to start the day.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Anonymous: Elsworth, is that you?

Lee, I totally understand. Makes you want to either A)get violent with anyone and everyone or B)disown transport entirely and make way for poverty via cabs (or whatnot).

Absolutely can't stand commuting. Yesterday I sat down and this rather large lady got on and stood right next to me with her arm up. Several nasty odors wafted down to me and I tried to hold off choking. Argh. Option B isn't looking too terrible.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, I'm not Elsworth, but I do play him on TV.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Haha :) At least you only have 30 minutes now. Last night it took 2 effing hours to get home due to the flooding rains we're getting. I guess it's time to build the ark.

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup. 30 minute commute rules!

2 hours in the rain? That hurts. I know after my 2 hour commutes, I just wanted to lay down on the couch when I got home.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home