17 September 2009

Girl on tram

Saw a girl on a tram today.  It was pissing down rain outside work and I took the first available tram that almost hit me.  I swung my backpack off my shoulders and put it on my lap as I sat down next to a man and across from a girl and an elderly gentleman.  The old chap glanced at me briefly to see if I would swipe my tram card.  I didn't.  I have someone's old year pass and even though you're supposed to swipe it so the transport system can have the most up to date statistics, I like to fuck with them occasionally and not swipe it.  But it's not really because I have an innate desire to fuck with the transport system in Melbourne.  Most of the time I just really can't be arsed.


So, sensing his disapproval I look to the girl next to him.  She's off in her own world reading Time Without Clocks by Joan Lindsay.  And she's got this serene smile on her face like she's at a particularly lovely part.  She's only about an eighth of the way through the book but already she's happy and it's adding to her growth as a human being.  I keep looking at the cuff on her jacket sleeve.  She has her arm up on the window ledge and she's wearing a red long-sleeved shirt underneath a stylish black leather jacket that has metal zips at the end bit of the sleeves.  A home-made red knitted scarf completes her ensemble and she looks pretty interesting.  

Her eyes are sweet and her smile is genuine.  It makes me want to smile, too.  I wonder why it is that us humans can be so beautiful in certain ways and so ugly in others...  I like how she stops and starts reading the book to gaze pensively out the tram window.  I do this, too, so it is curious to me watching this other girl.  I feel like I might know what she's thinking.

I think she sees me watching her out of the corner of her pretty eyes so I swing my gaze back to the old man.  He is still peeved about the tram card.  And by this time it was my turn to hop off.

I think I might read  Time Without Clocks soon.

17 Comments:

Blogger Clyde said...

Good to see you back.---I check about once a week---hope you are getting things sorted out

It is almost a passtime on public transport, to look at the faces around you til you find that interesting face.
Hey, I would probably try to piss the old guy off.
Better weather coming soon

5:21 AM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Nice! Welcome back.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Clyde said...

Hey, are you still on that tram---or did the deleted editor frighten you off from posting again

7:35 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Lee-Why did you delete your nice comment? I could use an experienced editor helping me out...

Clyde-Thanks, off the tram now but I'm back on it tomorrow.

Cliff-Hi! Cheers.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

Sorry Kat. Just suddenly felt the comment was out of place. I like this post a lot. It's a well captured moment.

Suggested tweaky bits have been emailed after all. Lemme know what you think.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Clyde said...

Hey Kathryn
It would be nice to know that you are alright in this new adopted home of yours.
I know that most people are safe and you probably are but it would be nice to know
I tried your email but it rejected as not a proper address
Stay safe
Hope you are ebjoying your new life

6:25 AM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

Clyde, Kat is safe and with friends. She is also going to lose SO badly at Connect 4 this Christmas. SO Badly.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Clyde said...

Lee
Thank you for your advice and I hope that Kathryn is safe and well and with good friends.
But I do find it very unusual that a guy from Sydney is replying on behalf of a girl in Melbourne.
It would be a lot more reassuring if Kathryn replied in her own time

5:59 AM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Boys, boys, boys...can't we all just get along?

Clyde, I'm fine. Thanks for your concern and all but everything is fabulous in Melb. Lee is my BFF who refuses to move to Melb. I am slowly but surely convincing him and his girlfriend to take the leap and move here. My own boyfriend has re-joined me from the States and is loving this amazing city.

I don't write on this blog almost ever now but I do appreciate you reading it now and again. Not sure why your email bounced back but it is linked to an old account that I don't usually use.

Lee, you are going DOWN with Connect Four. You just flippin' wait until I get there over Christmas. Might bring you a shrimpy off-the-rack one because I can't find the real deal...keep up your practicing, bitch. I got so many years on you with that game. ;)

P.S. I miss you.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

Sorry - that was overly grumpy of me. I just didn't respond well to that tone. I guess he wasn't to know that we are good friends.

And you may have years of experience at Connect 4, but I have natural talent, sista. Remember, one game only. You will not win :)

Miss you too.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Clyde said...

Thank you Lee
I'm sorry if I offended you
I didn't know that you were friends

Thank you Kathryn
I am glad that everything is fine
It is great that everything is working out for you

Have a great Xmas

4:04 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Oh, no worries. Hope you have a great Christmas, too!

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Cliff said...

I'm fine too, everyone. Thanks for asking.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Cliff! I wanted to email you in regards to one of your posts...Certain Comedy Responses, I think. But couldn't find your email address...

Hope you're doing well. The post got a bit dark and I felt like I could relate a bit.

All's good down under. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas! :)

6:09 PM  
Blogger mu said...

i just wanted to say that farang girl likes this blog... and that I am now apparently addressing my self in the third person. great.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home