30 July 2008

Creepy

Gchat is weirding me out. It seems to have a mind of its own, kind of like those robots who learn to 'think' for themselves and the whole planet is doomed. DOOMED!

Most of the world and this blog know me as Kathryn but some know me as Kat. My signature for my work email says Kat but for my gmail it says Kathryn and SOMEHOW gchat figured this out and switched my name for all my gmail/gchat stuff. I cannot figure out how to change the fecker back to my whole name. It is like some weirdo-mimickey device.

Not only has it changed my name but there are recommended sites on the side of my Inbox for topics I wrote about in emails. Also, topics are there about stuff that has been emailed to me. Can anyone explain this? Is it just me that thinks this is more than a little creepy? HOW does gmail know all this stuff? Gah!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been like that for awhile. Gmail searches through your email for words and uses it to display related ads.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

It is creepy and wrong!!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Brom said...

Yes, it is spooky, but then again they have rather a good search engine and offer free email, which is also bloomin good, so I suppose you can't blame them for using it. It does not explain your gmail nick changing tho!

I find it quite amusing seeing what pops up!

1:55 PM  
Blogger pierre l said...

As Brom says, it is a really good mail reader. It is not a human reading your mail, and it's unlikely that they remember what they read.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Brom- Yep, free email, all good and true. I do like the gchat and I don't mind the stuff on the side that pops up, but the name-changing stuff is overstepping its boundaries.

Pierre l- Haha. What a job that would be.

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home