10 July 2008

Cool Stuff

The bf and I went to watch this tonight:





It's a pretty wicked film.  And one that hits close to home.  Literally.  Chicago is the real star of the movie.  Shots in the Loop, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and other neighbourhoods in the city as well as the lovely (and dirty, hanging on by a shoestring) elevated (L) trains we all hold dear in our hearts.  It's fucking fabulous.

The film itself is interesting if melodramatic at times.  It's riveting and held my attention for all 108 minutes of it.  But...I think I was more interested in the director's take of Chicago to be honest.  Probably because whilst working in commercial property management I had to speak with this film's production assistants to organize shooting a car chase underneath Wacker Drive.  They also had to notify us of helicopters flying low and close to the building for footage.  It was pretty exciting.

What wasn't so exciting is when I left my mobile in a taxi and was driving to the Hyatt (where the cab driver had left it in the professional hands of the assistant manager) and the fucking brat of a PA wouldn't let me through due to the same car chase sequence being filmed (in a different area of downtown).  Apparently, the area was blocked off for the next 9 hours.  I think I said something equally bratty like, "What if I was staying in the Hyatt?  What would I do then?"

Seriously, though.  Check this out when you can.  My city is so bea-uuu-tiful.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a good movie! And anything with Angelina Jolie can't be bad.:-)

3:31 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Ooh, yeah.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Brom said...

Thanks for the Heads up... ooops that's almost a pun, it was not intended... for a change!

I need to see a bit more of Chicago. Terminal 3, Terminal 5 and the little train are not representative of the true city I feel

9:39 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Haha. No pun intended, indeed. ;)

Yes, you definitely do! ORD is not really the place to hang out and get a feel of this cool city. Come drop by for a pint at one of our millions of Irish bars (no joke, I live 2 blocks from 8 of them in a row).

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For those curious about how closely the Wanted script stuck to its rather f^&%d-up comic book inspiration, I will note that they left the demonic entity composed entirely of $#*t out of the movie, which I suppose is just as well.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Justina said...

Wanted was the best comedy of the year! That shit, the stunts especially, were so out of this world, I was cracking up the whole movie! There's something about watching a grown man (James MacAvoy) scream from his passenger seat while the driver(Angelina Jolie) flips their Lamborghini over a police car, that makes tears stream down my face! Chicago looked great in the film, especially the Loop. (his apartment was kinda shitty, though). Chicago will be on display next come Friday in 'The Dark Knight'. Enjoy!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Brom said...

If you can get the DVD Stateside I would thoroughly recommend "Hot Fuzz", very funny, quaint, British but great fun!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Graham- How interesting. It is probably best that they left the poo-monster out. It wouldn't glamourize Chicago very much.

Justina- Yeah, the film was brilliant. Loved it. Let me know how The Dark Knight is. It might be awhile before I see it.

Brom- I'll definitely have to check it out. I heard of this film when it came out but I don't remember why I didn't see it. Shall have to now! :)

10:55 AM  
Blogger Justina said...

Hot Fuzz was the shit! Its one of my favorites (after Shaun of the Dead). Simon Pegg and Nick Frost can do no wrong. I'm watching their old tv show 'Spaced' on BBC America right now. Fucking hilarious!

P.S. Its about a guy and a girl who pretend to be a couple so that they can get an apartment together.

P.P.S. Not seeing Dark Knight until Tuesday or Wednesday. Fucking IMAX has been sold out! Yay for Batman!!!!!!

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home