09 July 2008

Confused and Martinis

It's always a bit difficult to meet up regularly with people you know if you lead a very busy life at the moment like moi (ahem). Right now I'm feeling quite guilty and more than a little like a bad friend.

A woman I used to work with and see every month or every other month has been making an effort to get closer to me and I haven't made any. I like her very much but I prefer our relationship of meeting for a chocolate martini every other month, talking for a few hours whilst getting squiffy, and then walking home promising to "meet up soon."

I was at a place tonight having yes, more martinis, with a close friend who is moving away soon when I received a text from the above person saying, "Ok, don't call me. Don't tell me how your new job is going." It was a little shocking to see this because I thought we were so comfortable in our sporadic martini meetings. However, I'm not sure I'm the one with a problem.

After the martini marathon, I walked home and called this person. No answer. Left a message. Got home and rang an hour later. No answer. Clearly, she is miffed. I'm not quite sure how to fix this? Perhaps send an email?

Maybe I should lay off the martinis. But then surely I'd never see this friend again as all our social friendliness is surrounded by chocolate and vodka. Or pear juice and vodka. Or apples and vodka. Or. Or...just vodka.

Oh dear.

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Maybe she'd been on the Martini's?

5:34 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Totally. It's not often I have friend problems and usually it is the other way around where I am the one hurt or unhappy.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

A chocolate martini. Never had one of those.

Humans are weird. I'd email her to be very clear that you're not snubbing her and that you're happy to catch up from time to time. It's hard though if she wants to be closer than you feel you are.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I highly suggest a chocolate martini. They are a bit dangerous, though, as they are super smooth and go down my paunch like punch.

I think we're ok now. I heard back from her and she just wants to get together a bit more. So plans are in the works for this weekend. I don't want to be a bad friend.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home