15 June 2008

Club

I think I've been underground for too long.  Music-wise, that is.  I've gotten used to the smaller venues, grittier djs, and cool eclectic mixture of people that surround this arena.  Last night I went to a club I used to frequent quite often my first year or two in Chicago.  And it blew me away at how much I didn't fit in there.  The people disgust and depress me.  The drinks are way over-priced and about 2/3 of the place is blocked off for VIPs.  Are you fucking kidding me?


Those of us who didn't pay the $120+ to be VIP were crowded into a tiny space the size of my living room, it seemed.  I didn't realize how short I was until I stood in a field of giants, like last night.  And I was feisty!  I wasn't feeling this place one bit.  So when I finally got a sort-of, can kind of see the dj if I look underneath this guy's armpit and over this girl's hair, I was prepared to fight to keep it.  People were squeezing in like banana bushels and when the Kings of the Giants forced their giantness in front of me, I was not pleased.  

After some fightin' words (ok, let's be honest, bitchy words) from my side, I got my armpit, top of hair, spot back.  I guess working for a company that totally bitchifies their employees came to some usefulness finally.  I looked over to my left and saw this classic stereotypical club guy really going for it.  He had the mirror sunglasses on (my number 1 pet peeve in existence), the glow sticks in hand, and was jumping around like a Mexican Jumping Bean only more so.  He was nearly chewing his fucking lips off his face and was all over his date like the lacquer on my new painting.  I looked above me and saw the posey girls that belong at the horribly cheesy clubs in my neighborhood.  Instead they're at Tiesto and pretending to be dancers above the crowd in their gold stilettos, fake tan, fake hair, fake everything.  

What happened to this place?  Or...what has happened to me?  I haven't been here in a year and boy, what a change.  The bf and I couldn't take the heaving monkey pit any longer so we retired to the room next door for a much needed sit down and breather.  It was at this point that the night perked up considerably.  We laughed together and drank a shot that I found out after downing was called "A Red-Headed Slut."  How the eff do they think these things up?

Bf and I chair-danced and laughed some more.  We acted silly and drank our Red-Headed Sluts.  I think I'm done with these mainstream clubs/djs, though.  The atmosphere depresses me and I enjoy myself much more in the underground domain.  Tiesto pulled through nicely but his music doesn't bring me to Heaven like it once used to.  Sad but understandable since I know I'm not the only one to have changed.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to offer a slightly different perspective from Trance Kitten's. I tried to put myself into the mindset of being in the 10:00 dome at Burning Man (aka the "Tweaker Dome"). I figured Tiesto must have been in one of his grittier moods because he favored a quick, hard mixing style versus long blends. Vision is still one of the best venues in the city for electronic music. Bursts of red and white light shot through us like automatic weapons. We got blasts of steam, go-go dancers, and a bathroom full of chain-smoking Eastern Europeans. What more can you ask for?
Well, gas prices are out of control, food prices are on the rise, the economy is in the pits, and most of humanity is struggling to make ends meet. Meanwhile, Vision is selling tickets for $85 and raising prices on Red Bull & Vodka from $9 to $11.50 while simultaneously slashing the general admission floorspace to expand the even more outrageously-priced VIP section. Simply put, it's a matter of economics. This thing is oversold and bloated and we're cashing out before it crashes.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Brom said...

Sounds like a place to avoid! Ah, the infamous Red Headed Slut, a prominent feature of my Vegas days!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Yes, no more of that, please. Ooh, so you are aware of the Red-Headed Sluts? Why have I never heard of these before? Interesting! They must be much more common on the Vegas front.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

I so know where you're coming from.

Weirdly, a regular psytrance night has started at Sublime at Home Nightclub in Sydney. Thought I'd been to my last Subbies but I have to check this out.

Still, underground and outdoors. Can't beat it.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Ah, yes. Sublime at Home. I used to frequent that place quite a lot a few years ago. I'd be very interested in hearing how it is now.

My friends and I were just discussing that we'd rather do day time stuff at the moment. Take a time out from the hardcore partying back at 5am thing.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah. It would be nice to be normal and healthy for a while. Not forever of course-- but for a while.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes! much more like the underground stuff w/ the big bass and the breaks! and the people are people i'd want to talk to UNLIKE vision. ugh. that place. remember when my atm card and keys were stolen there? NEVER again will I go back.
-jami

3:43 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Yeah, I remember that unfortunate incident...I don't ever want to go back there, either. Seriously, Jami, it was so depressing. I like our other places a lot more.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home