25 June 2007

Mot du Jour 2

Discombobulate

Besot is out the door and discombobulate is in residence.

I like the actual word more than its meaning but that's a good one, too. It means to confuse, disconcert, upset, or frustrate and is obviously an Americanism. Like whatchamacallit.

Things that discombobulate me:

Jesse Jackson (He's partial to hypocrisy. Must be the politician bit.)

Blue cheese (I feel uncomfortable eating blue food. I don't know why. It feels unnatural.)

Sunnies worn in clubs (Obvious.)

Shirts that say one size but fit like another (You buy a certain size, it should be that size. Rumors of fitting rooms exist but I don't believe them.)

High heels (Sexy, yeah, but uncomfortable- Hell Yeah. Plus one can't dance for 7 hours in heels no matter what one says.)

Interestingly, whilst discombobulate is an actual word in any actual American dictionary (don't know if it's in the Oxford or Macquarie or whosits) the word combobulate doesn't exist! Am confused or discombobulated, if you will. Obviously, if there's a dis in front of a word there must be a word that exists without the afore-said dis. This is also true with un or in, I think. But combobulate is definitely not a word! What kind of crap is this? I feel cheated in a way I can't explain. Whatevs.

Discombobulate is a funny word. Am a bit combobbled about the non-combobulation of the word combobulate but don't worry, I'll get over it.*


*P.S. I had a really discombobulating weekend and therefore I hope my silliness can be forgiven for today's post. Will re-gain non-silliness control tomorrow, possibly Friday. Maybe July 24th. I'll get back to ya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home