05 June 2007

Crispy

Back from the land of sun or erm...lack of it at the moment. It was cloudy when we landed on Saturday morning into San Diego. The hotel receptionist informed us that actually, yes, 'May Gray' and 'June Gloom' is what's on the City Weather Menu. Explains cheaper airfare, perhaps...

Alright, so we're a little disappointed but on the up side there still are palm trees and a massive ocean (viewed from hotel room) and lots of surfy-seaside shops, restaurants, bars and what-have-you. After pottering around the beach for awhile and a late arvo siesta, the bf and I have a wander round the Gaslamp District in downtown San Diego. It's really laid back and sexy. Lots of little shops sprinkled in between groovy bars and hip restaurants with Mexican type plazas nearby.

We settled on a Steak/Stripper restaurant that had this great leg lamp (reminiscent of 'A Christmas Story'). You could grill your own meat in a cozy, sex-vibed environment. Interesting stuff. The Mai Tai's and Long Island Ice Tea's were a bit too strong, though. Beer probably would've been better.

In the morning we were going to go explore Balboa Park but oh no, the City had other plans. The San Diego Marathon was taking place and EVERYTHING was blocked off. It would've taken effing yonks to reach downtown. Thank sod we were on a beach and the SUN decided to push past the June Gloom and grace us with its presence.

It's BEACH TIME!! I yanked on my bikini, grabbed my beach towel and sunnies, then raced to the sand. We realized once there that I had left the sunscreen in the room. Bf went in search to find it while I lazily reclined in the treasured sunshine. Muy stupido I was to find out later. Bf seemed to take aaagggesss. So I went into the water. Effing cold at first but you get used to it. There really is nothing like swimming in the ocean. I overheard someone make a comment that day, "It's incredible once you're out there. It's like a machine!" I suppose it is like a machine in a way, those waves never stop and that's the best part of being in the ocean, for me, at least. That and watching the surfers.

I put on sunscreen twice after getting out of the water but it was no use, apparently. Damage already done and all that. I am as crispy and fried as KFC. It hurts to move. Really dumb but got caught up in the excitement and heat of the moment, yadda yadda. Am slathering on the aloe vera every half hour.

On top of all this fun stuff, I seem to have collected a lovely throat infection. Well, the bottom line is that I had a really great time on my mini-break to SD. And it was worth all the pit-stops and pit-falls along the way. Too bad it wasn't for longer but there's always next time, hey?

Photos will be up on next post. There was more but I'm all tuckered out now and too lazy to blog it. But soonish.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, you really are good. I couldn't have put it better-- and I pat myself on the back for being an avid chronicler of the good times. Elegantly direct, no extraneous details. The contrast of pain and pleasure captured the immediacy of a new experience. The hopeless sense of urgency, embodied by a simple story about getting caught in the sun like an ill starred salamander, is the undeniable, if bittersweet, hallmark of an all-too-short vacation. Maybe I'll hear your rendition of the Tale of El Gordo later, though.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Yeah, El Gordo will factor in soon enough. Thank you, that's very nice. Still layering on the aloe vera. Crazy burn victim, I am. And the worst part is that it is all my fault. *Sob*

8:31 AM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

Where does "all tuckered out" come from?

(Sorry - would say something more interesting... but I'm all tuckered out).

9:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Ah haha, you are so witty. :)

I think it originated from somewhere Down South and not the good kind of south like California or Vegas but the backarse south of Alabama or Mississippi. Good phrase, though. Better than y'all, I reckon.

Maybe Alabama and Mississippi are being prejudiced against here. But I don't care.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

I love phrases that you know what they mean, but when you really look at them they make you wonder exactly what they mean, where they came from etc.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Me, too. Like knackered? Or dag. Perhaps bogan? I can do this all day.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home