27 November 2006

Pulse

I can hear it two blocks away. A low throbbing sound stretching out into the still night air. As I walk closer to the club there's an excited atmosphere surrounding the area. A queue is forming outside the entrance. I line up with the others and stamp my feet expectantly against the cold nip in the air. Marvelling at the girls wearing stilettos I wonder how long they'll last dancing for hours. They look gorgeous.

After a few minutes of anticipation I'm in. The bass line vibrates my body and I feel a rush of adrenaline as the music buoys me up. Pushing politely past people I make my way to the bar to meet my friends.

"Gonna be a good night, hey?" C shouts over the music.

"Definitely!" I yell back happily. I take in the people around me and discreetly check them out. The bartender leans over and asks what I'd like. A vodka orange it's to be.

Following C and K through the crowded club I take in my surroundings.

The club is set in an old ballroomesque hotel dating back more than a few decades. A grand staircase cascades down the middle of the entrance hall. DJs, bars, and a dance floor greets one as they walk around the bottom floor. We start treading slowly up the staircase to the second story, above us is a high dome. The classy chandeliers clash with the house music shaking the walls.

Glancing back to the dance floor below I spy a sea of people grinding and moving to the unsteady beats. Scantily clad women are slinking their way through the mass and occasionally end up tangled between men and women refusing to move.

I skip up and forwards onto the second floor. Jumping behind C and K I hear a different type of music. My body is moving involuntarily. Trance is pounding out of massive speakers at 120bpm. I'm ready to move, to mix with the others, to celebrate this music pulsating through me.

A man grabs my waist as I try to move past him. He mouths "Hi" and moves to take me away to the bar. He's attractive but instead I shake my head and smiling I gently disengage his hand from my hip.

I slide past people standing in the wings drinking, smoking, chatting, and dancing to the music. Looking to catch up with C and K I see a guy wearing sunglasses. How annoying, it's a club not a beach. "Must be to cover up his drug use," I think unfairly.

I see my friends dancing their way onto the main stage area. I make my way over to them and we start swaying in time with the thumping bass line. Up down up down we jump and move. There's a pause in the music where overlapping synths blend and melt together creating a heaven-like atmosphere. The crowd shoves their hands up and worship the DJ's creation en masse.

Hold it. Hold it. Hold it...

And now! Dropping the beats the DJ throws his hands up at the horde of people in front of him. My friends and I turn and grin like idiots at each other.

As I'm dancing myself into oblivion all I feel is happiness at the sensation these pulsating beats breed in me. I give myself up to it. And it's bliss.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that's awesome! that it very real n true very well written!

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home