22 March 2007

Fee

Usually whilst visiting a country one enjoys their time sight-seeing, catching up with various friends, travelling and whatnot. One (i.e. me) does not expect to pay the country (i.e. the UK) a fee just to leave. I have never heard of this but apparently I am ignorant.

"Check in desk 1 is available!" An airline employee shouts nearby. I scoot myself forward and neatly wheel a smallish carryall behind me.

"Where are you flying to, miss?" A perky brunette with a French accent asks me.

"Chicago." I lay my passport on top of the counter and wait to answer the usual questions. Instead I get this:

"Are you aware that you have to pay a 20 pound fee to leave the UK? Will that be cash or charge?" She didn't look at me whilst saying this as I'm sure she's used to being abused from 'unaware' flyers and she's right, I'm no different.

"What? When the hell did that start?" I gasp extremely pissed off and forgetting to not shoot the messenger.

"It began in February, miss. Will that be cash or charge?" She finally looked up at me warily and I could see that she was annoyed as well but I was still in a rant stage.

"This is bullshit! Who can I write a letter of complaint to? It's for the bloody olympics, isn't it? Stupid Ken!"

She didn't say anything but just looked at me, waiting. I was holding everyone up and I was late for my flight so I grudgingly forked over my credit card and glared as she printed a receipt out.

"Here you go, miss. Have a safe flight." She said forcing a smile on her face.

I was still dazed at having to pitch out $40 just to leave so I'm afraid to say I wasn't very polite but just mumbled "Yeah" with the infernal receipt and thankfully, my passport, in hand.

What I'd like to know is what happens if a person doesn't have a credit card or any cash on them? Will they have to live in the airport such as Tom Hanks in that film Terminal? They can't just kick them out onto the street, can they?

When I got home I was raving on about this incident to my transport buddy (girl I meet everyday on the train platform). She was the one to point out to me that actually the UK isn't the only one extracting precious money from it's tourists, citizens, anyone trying to broaden their mind by travelling, but in fact several countries follow this maddening protocol. Apparently, Thailand, some Caribbean country, and a few South American countries do this, too.

I am much smarter and wiser now geared with this knowledge. Perhaps I should open a savings account purely for departure fees? In the future I shall remember not to throw a foul-mouthed tantrum in the airport.

Or not. You never know when one may come in handy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Justina said...

New Zealand has the same thing! Exactly like you I was getting ready to board my flight and they say excuse me you have to pay NZ$25 to leave. Thank God I had a credit card on me and I was able to pay it. But I kept thinking you bastards! as well as what would have happened if I didn't have the money? I guess they assume that if you are entering their country in the first place that you will automatically have the money to pay it! I hope the US doesn't institute such a policy! That shit would not go over well!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Someone in my family told me it's actually the airline's fault and not the airport...but I'm not sure that's true...I'm still investigating! Another person told me that in the case of having no credit card or cash they may be sent a bill later when they get home or they might have to have cash wired to them? Odd! I will find out.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home