04 May 2007

Tip du Jour

Don't use slang in emergency situations. And always listen. Example:

Security: "He fell out on the 3rd floor. The ambulance and fire-department are on-site."

Me: "He fell out?! As in fell out the window?"

Security: Crunching noises over phone, "Yeah."

Then 6 minutes later after I had notified everyone and their mothers,

Security: "Paramedics are leaving. The person must be alright."

Me: "What?! The person is alright after falling out the window?!"

Security: "What are you talking about?"

Me: "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"

Security: "The person fell out. He didn't fall out the window!"

Me: "What does THAT mean?!"

Security: "He passed out! Fainted...you know?"

Me: "No, I don't know! I just notified everyone and their mothers that a person has fallen out the window! You said 'Yeah' when I asked you before!"

Security: "No, I didn't!"*

Me: "You did, too!"

So, long story short (kinda)- People, please don't use ebonics during emergency situations. For those of us who don't know what the hell you're talking about we might take it seriously (i.e. moi). Talk about being morto.


*She probably was eating crisps while telling me the situ and that's the crunching noise I heard in the background (also explains why she would confirm a person has fallen out the window. Nutter).

5 Comments:

Blogger John T said...

Shucks Kath, sounds like another stressful day at the office! I had no idea that 'fell out' could mean that either! Only hope those people you notified took the misunderstanding well...

1:14 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

They took it alright. Was the laughingstock of the office...but it was the ghetto security guard that got a talking to. Scary stuff.

The next day the Director of Security walked passed me and sniggered, "Anyone fall out of the window today?"

Where's my severance? I'm ready!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Justina said...

(Sorry, I accidentally put this comment in the posting before this one but the sentiment is the same!)

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! I'm sorry for laughing so hard Kathryn at this story. You shouldn't feel bad in the slightest; 'Fell out' is such a 90s slang term, I haven't heard it in soooo long. I wonder if the reason I knew what that idiot guy meant is due to my close proximity to the Ebonics vernacular (i.e. I'm black!)

Fuck the director! Severance indeed!

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, this was a very good post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to make a good article… but what
can I say… I put things off a lot and don't manage to get anything done.

My web site: Louis Vuitton Handbags

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog!
We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!


My site :: Louis Vuitton Bags

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home