21 April 2007

Snob

I have a penpal in Switzerland that I email back and forth with intermittenly. Her English is 'not so good' and mon francais est tres mal so we just happen to get by through our correspondence somehow. What links us is that she likes to travel or go en voyage.

One thing I've recently found out is that we do not have the same taste in music. I'm a big music snob, I admit it. But I think even the most generic tastes in music would agree with me that an email my penpal has sent to me is 'unnatural':

I like much the music of Britney Spears. Before was my sister her fan. I saw Britney in concert in Zurich. It was splendid!

Oh my. My penpal is a fan (in the words of Cindy Adams from Page Six) of a pop tart. Ms. Spears is nowhere on my list of good music, not even at the very, very bottom where some unfavourable mentionables do actually lurk...

I am trying very sincerely (but not altogether successfully) to stop being a music snob for a moment and be open-minded. Just because we disagree on music won't stop me from emailing her...unless, of course, she says she's a fan of Paris Hilton's music. I will have no control over my actions at that point.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

What I love about being a music snob is confessing to guilty pleasures. It's hilarious some of the shit that I'm not supposed to like.

But I do.

So there.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Fair enough.

Everyone has their 'guilty pleasures.' Just there are a few that I think are unacceptable (hence the snobiness) and it's my hangup.

So...do you like Britney Spears?

10:30 AM  
Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

Look. Thing is, I think we should all have open minds when it comes to taste in music. I should be allowed to like Britney Spears without earning the contempt of others who feel differently about her. Ok?

Having said that, I would rather eat my own ears than listen to the music of Britney Spears or let the details of her life pollute my mind.

I'm not fond of Britney Spears, no.

Also, see? Bad poetry just happened by accident:

I would rather eat my own ears,
Than listen to the music of Britney Spears.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Gotcha. Point taken. I'm working on the open-minded stuff!

I'm rather fond of bad poetry...

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home