10 April 2007

Oh Dear

There are moments in everyone's lives where they do something spectacularly stupid and it is hilarious to most people. I am fortunate to be one of those people who often do or say daft stuff. My lovely friend, J, is someone who doesn't (at least not usually in my presence). However, a couple of years ago she did something so silly that I still snigger a bit...especially when I see a cop car stopped at a stop sign.

J and I were out and about and ready to rumble (but not in a Rocky type of sense, obv) on a clear, beautiful, autumn night in Sydney. We were in the Rocks for a bit before deciding to meet one of her friends, R, over at Manly. Not quite drunk but feeling fine we triapsed down through the Rocks and ambled over to Circular Quay.

The Jet Cat through Sydney Harbour was probably the best part of that night. The dark sky was clear and as we drifted along the lights of the City contrasted sharply against the dark water surrounding it. The tangy smell of sea-salt was refreshing and cool; it made us feel young and alive.

All too soon the lovely sojourn ended by the boat pulling into Manly Harbour. But Manly is gorgeous; definitely my favourite beach in Sydney. J and I alighted and began walking towards the beachfront where the trendy bars and clubs are at. Apparently R was inside one already and probably past tipsy.

Once inside it turns out that R is a bit of an arse. He leaves and we had just taken a ferry to get there! The gall! We humphed a bit indignantly and then decided it would be best to go home, too. The next 5 minutes involve me having to sit on a bench from laughter.

Trying to get a cab, J (who insists she was sober at this point and therefore doesn't have any excuse whatsoever), opens the door to a stopped car at the stop sign. I start shouting at her, "No! J! That's NOT a cab!"

Meanwhile she's asking the driver, "Excuse me, can you take us to Chatswood?" She looked up at me shouting things at her and tilted her head to one side trying to make out what was being said. She later told me she didn't know why I was yelling as she had just got us a cab and I should've been grateful (cabs are hard to come by in Manly).

The man in the car turned back to her and said, "Dear, this is a police car not a taxi. I'm afraid I can't take you to Chatswood. I can take you to the police station if you'd like?"

J turned bright red and then stumbled out, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She kept parroting it over and over. She begun to convulse with laughter. Heaving so much she fell onto the ground and sat there giggling like a madwoman. The copper stuck his head out the window and said to me, "Oh dear."

Oh dear, indeed! I still give her crap about it. Hey, J, do you remember that? *covers mouth and sniggers*

2 Comments:

Blogger Justina said...

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!! Good thing she was in OZ because we all know if she did that shit in America, they would've shot her! (or worse yet, let the German Sheperd have his way with her!)

9:10 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

*Giggle* Yes, it was quite funny. She's so sweet and lovely, it was totally out of character and that's what made it so great.

Bless, J, I love ya.

Yep, good thing it wasn't in the good 'ol US of A...this be shootin' country.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home