11 April 2007

What?

I hate those situations where strangers say completely inappropriate things to me. Within two seconds of meeting them they blurt out something personal that I don't need to know. Occasionally this happens to me and I am always divided as to whether they are mentally unstable or they just feel very comfortable in my presence (somehow I always revert back to the former but it could possibly be a mixture of both).

Example: Today I'm at my desk in the office and a food delivery woman has found her way over to me (where the hell is the receptionist when you need her?).

Me: "Oh hello. Who's this for?" Nodding towards the bag of food goodies.

Food goody lady: "I have asthma."

Me: "Right now?!"

Asthma lady: "A little. It's not too bad just this moment. But the weather!" She gestured wildly in the direction of the windows and let out a massive guffaw, "It just makes me want to stop breathing! I can't take it!" She made some heaving noises but she didn't look like she was going to drop dead or anything.

Me: "Er, um, yes...well, that doesn't sound good." I nodded at the food goodies. "Do you know who that's for?"

Heaving noise lady: "What?" She spat out at me like I was crazy.

Me: "The food goodies you're holding. Who are they for? I'll try to get a hold of them to pick it up."

Spitting lady: "What are you talking about? That's my lunch!" Oh dear, she was getting all bent out of shape now.

Me: "Oh, ah...I see. So you're not a delivery woman, then?"

Bent out of shape lady: "What's wrong with you, girl? Are you crazy?" She was looking at me a bit funny. "I stopped in to see Tequita downstairs," said very huffily, "Can't a girl get a break from all this?!" Throwing hands once again towards windows where fair enough, sleet was smacking violently against them. "Shit, you're weird." She backed away from me lugging the massive bag of Corner Bakery food goodies with her.

Some enormous lunch, that's all I can say. And I'm the weird one?

1 Comments:

Blogger SheridanParker said...

that's hilarious!

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home